Tuesday, December 25, 2012

“All I Want For Christmas” Photograph


Who needs expensive toys when you’ve got a lump of expanded polystyrene, some old wooden kebab skewers and an imagination? I watched this lad for a minute or so and he clearly had a purpose behind his construction. It might have been a house or perhaps a car that he was making but actually could have been almost anything else, I’m afraid his imagination (and concentration) was working on a different level to mine.

Not having children of my own I had never really thought about the nature of toys and how modern ones tend to direct the child’s play. This boy is educating himself in terms of using his own unconstrained imagination, planning and the practical mechanics of actually making something. He also educated me. Thanks, kid.

Photograph taken at Chatuchak Weekend Market, Bangkok, Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment