Thursday, October 4, 2012

“No Miracle Diet” Photograph


These steps turned out to be more educational than I expected. When I first saw them and took this photograph I intended to write something sarcastic about the “miracle diet” of climbing up just one of these small steps and burning off the equivalent of a Mars bar, and how I hoped that the architects, engineers and designers of this new building in Bangkok had gotten the rest of their calculations right. But then I decided to check my assumption that one kcal equals 1,000 calories and found that, although it is strictly true, in common usage kcal and cal can mean the same thing so unfortunately I would need to climb 1,000 of these steps to burn off that Mars bar. I also then got side-tracked into learning about kJ and the effect of climate on metabolic rate.

Photograph taken on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment